Ms. Werwas practices with the firm’s insurance coverage and health care litigation groups. She has represented clients at the state and national level in matters involving complex insurance coverage issues, including personal injury claims, long-tail liability matters, uninsured motorist claims, business interruption claims, and catastrophic property losses. She has counseled clients in drafting manuscript coverage agreements and amendments, tendering matters for defense and indemnification by third-parties, and preparing reservation of rights and denial of coverage letters. Ms. Werwas has also worked with clients in both prosecuting and defending declaratory judgment actions relating to insurance coverage.
In addition to her work in the insurance coverage area, Ms. Werwas also represents not-for-profit nursing homes in the defense of litigated claims. She has experience handling a wide range of subrogation claims, including product defect claims, construction actions, employee dishonesty, and traditional tort claims. In this context, she has worked with experts in many disciplines, from the initial stages of investigating causes and origins of losses and injuries, preserving evidence and participating in all phases of litigation.
Ms. Werwas has authored articles for the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel on issues relating to the duty to defend and coverage in construction defect claims. She has also presented webinars for her clients relating to cyber liability insurance and preparedness, social media issues, and insurance record retention policies.
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, J.D., 2006, summa cum laude
- Southern Illinois University, B.A., 2003, English, summa cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2010
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2006
- Illinois, 2006
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Tafoya-Cruz v. Temperance Beer Company, LLC, 2020 IL App (1st) 190606, 2020 IL App (1Tafoya-Cruz v. Temperance Beer Company, LLC, 2020 IL App (1st) 190606) 190606, 2020 IL App (1Tafoya-Cruz v. Temperance Beer Company, LLC, 2020 IL App (1st) 190606, 2020 IL App (1Tafoya-Cruz v. Temperance Beer Company, LLC, 2020 IL App (1st) 190606) 190606) 190606.
- Center Partners, Ltd. v. Growth Head GP, LLC, 2012 IL 113107 (Ill. 2012).
- Defending Nursing Homes Against Covid-19 Lawsuits, by Mollie E. Werwas, DRI, May 2021
- Evaluating Coverage When Policies Are Lost, by Mollie E. Werwas and Jeanne M. Zeiger, DRI, May 2021
- From Envirodyne and Beyond: The Use of Extrinsic Evidence to Defeat and Create a Duty to Defend in Illinois, by Mollie E. Nolan Werwas, Daniel J. Berkowitz, John D. Hackett, Jaime L. Hull, and Seth D. Lamden, IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, Third Quarter 2015.
- Exclusion of the Occurrence? Examining the Illinois Courts’ Interpretation of “Coverage” in Construction Defect Cases. Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 4, January, 2014.
- Search for Original Expression: Fan Fiction and the Fair Use Defense, Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Spring 2006, 30 S. Ill. U. L.J. 533.
- A Difference of Opinion: Reconciling the Court’s Decision in Tennessee v. Lane, 541 U.S. 509 (2004), Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Winter 2006, 30 S. Ill. U. L.J. 357.