James C. Jansen focuses his practice on labor and employment matters where he represents commercial, not-for-profit, and governmental clients in drafting labor and employment documents, crafting policies and handbooks, conducting and overseeing disciplinary and harassment investigations, and providing counsel and advice on both everyday and complex employment issues.
Mr. Jansen graduated from the Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2021 and obtained his graduate and undergraduate degrees from Loyola University Chicago’s Quinlan School of Business. During his time in law school, Mr. Jansen began working with the Chicago not-for-profit organizations including Instituto Del Progreso Latino (IDPL) and the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) reviewing documentation and making legal assessments regarding citizenship, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), and Temporary Protected Status (TPS).
Mr. Jansen has nine years of experience working as a Human Resources professional in Human Resources Compliance for a large, private Chicago company. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Jansen gained legal experience in civil litigation and administrative law while working at a law firm in Chicago handling liquor and business disciplinary and licensing matters. He successfully represented clients in state court and in front of administrative agencies and local jurisdictional committees and councils. He has prevailed in the circuit courts throughout the State of Illinois and at various administrative hearings with the City of Chicago.
Mr. Jansen is the current National President for Alpha Psi Lambda National, Incorporated. He had previously served in other various volunteer roles with the organization including Chapter Director, Midwestern Regional Director, Director of Chapter Development, Appeals Board member, and Vice President of Standards and Policy, with much of his work involving training and development and member conduct investigations.
Publications and Blog Posts
- New I-9 Almost Here! (October 24, 2023)
- Religious Accommodation Requests & the Latest Supreme Court Case Every Employer Should Know About (July 20, 2023)
- Lawful Severance Agreements under the NLRA? Consider Narrowly Tailored Confidentiality and Non-Disparagement Provisions (April 26, 2023)
- 2023 Employment Law Guide (February 1, 2023)
- "Any Reason" Paid Leave Law Coming to Illinois (January 15, 2023)
- The Speak Out Act: The Next Step (January 6, 2023)
- New Year, New You, New Policies Too? (December 14, 2022)
- Pre-Holiday Employment Law Considerations: I-9, Daylight Savings, and Voting Leave, Oh My! (October 27, 2022)
Practice Area Expertise
- Labor & Employment Law
- Immigration Law
- Eviction Law
- Alcohol and Retail Food Licensing (TTB, State, and local)
- Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA)
- School of Law, Loyola University Chicago, J.D., 2021
- Quinlan School of Business, Loyola University Chicago, MSHR, 2008
- Quinlan School of Business, Loyola University Chicago, MBA, International Business and Human Resources, 2007
- Quinlan School of Business, Loyola University Chicago, BBA, Operations Management and Human Resources, 2006
Admitted to Practice
- Illinois, 2021
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2022
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Chicago Bar Association
- Society for Human Resource Management